Pension inheritance: Can you inherit your state pension from your spouse?



Posted on: 23rd May 2019

Many rely on the state pension to help them live comfortably throughout their retirement. But what happens if your spouse dies? Will you lose their state pension, or can you inherit it? According to the government, widows may be able to receive an extra payment on top of their state pension.

But how do you know if you are able to inherit extra state pension in the event of your spouse’s death? If you can claim, and how much, comes down to the number of national insurance contributions that were paid by your partner.

If you wish to inherit the state pension from your deceased spouse, you must also be of state pension age. If not, however, it may be possible for you to claim bereavement benefits. It is also extremely important that you make sure the government is aware of your partner’s passing so that their state pension payments stop.

However, the news is not so good for those who have since remarried or entered into a new civil partnership. If you fall into this group, you will not be able to claim the state pension of your former spouse.

You may also be able to inherit your other half’s additional state pension

The government said: “You might inherit part of your deceased partner’s Additional State Pension if your marriage or civil partnership with them began before 6 April 2016 and one of the following applies, your partner reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016 or they died before 6 April 2016 but would have reached State Pension age on or after that date. It will be paid with your State Pension.”

If you and your spouse married before 1977 and paid the “married woman’s stamp”, you will be able to receive a state pension based on the national insurance your partner paid. For help, get in touch with the Department of Work and Pensions. Alternatively, you can speak to the Future Pension Centre.

Recently, it was revealed that grandparents could increase their state pension by £5,000, but how? According to Royal London, only 10,000 claimed this top up, leaving many others missing out. This additional income, however, only applies to grandparents helping care for children.

The UK government said, “Specified Adult Childcare credits work by transferring the NI credit attached to Child Benefit from the Child Benefit recipient to a family member who is providing care for a related child under 12.

“Therefore, if no one has claimed Child Benefit for the child there is no attached NI credit to transfer and Specified Adult Care credits cannot be awarded.”

Recent state pension age rule changes have meant that some couples will miss out on £7,000 a year.

Never miss out on what you’re owed with Haven IFA

It’s surprising to see just where you could find yourself entitled to more cash for retirement. Of course, without an independent financial adviser, it can be easy to miss these opportunities. By seeking professional advice from Haven IFA, you can relax knowing you’re in safe hands. To learn more about our services, get in touch.